Sunday, December 15, 2013

Hidden Treasure: Kevin Coyne.

He’s been a musical favorite of mine for a long time. The late Kevin Coyne wasn’t afraid to yell, scream, or howl. He also made frequent use of grunts, groans, squeaks, squelches, and that mean, mean blues guitar.

Here he is doing it all at Hyde Park in 1974.



Guess what. Kevin Coyne was also a painter, poet, and film maker.

The more I read about this guy and the more I listen, the more I fall in love. Kevin Coyne could feel. He worked as a psychiatric nurse and a drug counselor from 1965 to 1968. In 1969 He got his record deal. But you can hear the hospital in that first album, Marjory Razorblade.

Coyne simmers with righteous anger for the treatment of the mentally ill. He’s always on the verge of crying, and screaming, and laughing.

Here are some of my favorites from Coyne’s less appreciated mediums.

SHORT STORY –

PAINTINGS –

POEM –
No Growl
The wolf in my head died
the day you gave me carpet slippers

After that I took to the settee
putting the dog at regular intervals

Listening to apples fall of the tree
in our cluttered backyard

Whispering about sex to myself
in a silly voice I didn't
recognise as my own

Not a growl of anger in me

Not a tooth in my head to bite with

No comments:

Post a Comment